While most people choose to go gluten-free to lose weight, some still have faith in the paleo way of dieting. The truth is both the approaches are considered to bring positive results in most people when done right.
However, paleo diet suggests limiting processed food and strategically picking foods our ancestors ate and thus considered the healthiest means to get lean and fit.
Foods to Eat:
- Grass-fed meats; chicken, beef, pork turkey
- Fish and seafood
- Fresh fruits; Apples, oranges, bananas, avocados, pears, strawberries, blueberries and more.
- Vegetables; Broccoli, kale, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes and green leafy veggies.
- Nuts and seeds; Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more
- Healthy oils; Olive, coconut, walnut, avocado, flaxseed and macadamia
Foods to Avoid:
- Grains; bread pasta, wheat, brown rice, corn, oats, rye, barley
- Dairy products:Most dairy, particularly low-fat products, including milk, yoghurt and cheese.
- Legumes:Beans, lentils, soy, peanuts, kidney beans and more.
- Foods high in sugar (fructose): Refined sugar, corn syrup, soft drinks, packaged sweets, fruit juices, pastries, ice cream, candies, etc.
- Vegetable oils:Soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil and
- Artificial sweeteners
- Processed foods high in trans fats including products labelled “diet” or “low-fat”.
- Fermented dairy products including cheese and yoghurt
- Modern versions of paleo diet may include gluten free brands like grains rice, pasture raised organic bacon and more.
Dining out like a Paleo Pro
- Eat something paleo before you get to the restaurant.
- Pick a fish or meat-based main course.
- Try and see if you can get food cooked in olive or coconut oil.
- Substitute bread and rice for veggies.
Things to Remember
- Eat enough of high-quality animal protein and healthy fats while cutting down on carbohydrates.
- Choose pasture-raised or grass-fed meat.
- Stay no to cereal grains, legumes, added sugar and vegetable, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils.
- For an ideal paleo breakfast, eat free-range eggs scrambled in olive oil along with herbal tea and seasoned fruit.
- For lunch, you can take chicken or Caesar salad with a handful of nuts.
- Dinner can include ground beef with vegetables and some avocado and berries.
Alright, you’re all set to start off with the Paleo thing.
Paleo diet is apparently the only nutritional yet healthy approach that helps you stay lean while being energetic and strong. So, do it right and get in shape really easy.